Vibrant and attractive, Oklahoma City is nestled in the heart of the country. There’s a reason why rental property in Oklahoma City is so desirable, and landlords are in a good position to enjoy plenty of applicants when they have a vacancy. Many landlords worry about picking a bad tenant, but there’s no need to worry when they follow Oklahoma City tenant screening laws. It’s the clear way to reduce the risks of bad applicants turning into bad tenants.
In this post, landlords in Oklahoma City will learn:
- Oklahoma City tenant screening laws
- Where to find free landlord resources
- Get an overview of the application screening process
- How to find the best tenant screening services
Tenant Screening Oklahoma City Laws
Of course Oklahoma City landlords must comply with state and federal laws, but often metro cities have an additional set of tenant screening laws. Oklahoma City tenant screening laws are on the books to make sure that the entire process is fair and balanced for both sides.
For example, some of Oklahoma City’s tenant screening laws include:
- Landlords have no limits placed on them for how much they charge for an application fee.
- Oklahoma City application fees are non-refundable, even if the application is denied.
- Remember that security deposits are a different payment than an application fee.
Oklahoma City landlords can enjoy success in their real estate business when they really study and learn the city’s tenant screening laws.
Don’t Make This Common Screening Mistake
Far too many Oklahoma City landlords neglect to get every bit of information they they need in order to run a background check. In order to do this, they need to have a signature of consent from the applicant. If an Oklahoma City landlord can’t get an applicant’s signature on the application, they won’t be able to run a background check. Any application paperwork should be changed before a lease is offered or renewed.
Check out how it’s done at RentPrep:
Check out the area that discusses the non-refundable application, shown by the upper arrow. The place where applicants must sign to give consent is shown by the lower arrow.
Resources for Tenant Screening in Oklahoma City
RentPrep has gathered a helpful list of links for you to use in your real estate business. There’s no better way to find top tenants than to use the information here.
- Rental Application PDF – Have every prospective tenant fill out this rental application.*
- Move-In Move-Out checklist – This is helpful for after the tenant screening process to make sure you document the condition of the rental
- Rental Lease Agreement – Once you’ve decided on a tenant you’ll want to draw up a lease. (make sure this editable doc is compliant with your state laws)
- Summary of Your Rights Under the FCRA – Our screeners here at RentPrep are FCRA certified to ensure compliance on your screening report
- Oklahoma City Housing Authority – Lots of good information about renting in Oklahoma City
*Landlords should use a no blank space policy to dismiss applications that are not completely filled out. If there is a blank space instead of an answer, landlords don’t have to move it forward for further consideration.
Oklahoma City Tenant Screening Process
Many Oklahoma City landlords create a tenant screening criteria list to help them prioritize all the applications. They can compare the answers on each application to discover which are the most qualified. Oklahoma City landlords have the right to really look at people that will be staying in their property.
Here’s an example of an Oklahoma City tenant screening list:
- No prior evictions
- No smoking
- Income to rent ration 3:1
- No pets
- No criminal background
- Bankruptcy must be more than 3 years old
Of course, there may be other factors that keep Oklahoma City landlords in line and in compliance with tenant screening services. Above all, landlords can’t discriminate against any protected classes. Landlords can learn more more about fair housing laws here in Oklahoma City here and visit to the hud.gov website for federal laws.
Remember that Oklahoma City tenant screening laws include:
- Zero limits on how much landlords can charge for application fees.
- Landlords can deny applications if they don’t meet their screening criteria.
- Oklahoma City landlords should not discriminate against protected classes.
There’s no doubt that Oklahoma City tenant screening laws will ensnare landlords that don’t care enough about people and their business to learn more.
Check Out Your Oklahoma Screening Guide
In many cases cities have their own screening rules and regulations while the state has another set of rules that govern the screening process.
Click here to go to our post on the “Oklahoma Tenant Screening Process.”
More on Tenant Screening Services
With the final applications in hand, landlords can hire a professional tenant screening service. In exchange for detailed background reports, companies should charge a modest fee.
The best tenant screening reports include information on:
- Prior evictions
- Any judgments or liens
- Past addresses
With the final background checks Oklahoma City landlords will be able to make the all-important decision on offering a lease to the tenant. It’s the best way to eliminate bad applicants and stick to the ones with the best history.
At RentPrep, we have experience with over 21,000 landlords over the past 10 years. Check out our tenant screening packages to see the services we offer.
Our FCRA certified screeners will put your mind at ease by providing the best tenant screening report available.